Category Archives: Exchange

Where’s mah mail, dude?! (meme edition)

One of the recent requests from a user stated that all his mail without even visiting Inbox went right into … Deleted Items folder. No problem – just find the rule which does that and remove or fix it.


Simple as “one, two, three, doesn’t work”. Yep, after I had deleted all the rules the Inbox still lacked the mail.


Now what? Moving mailbox to another location? Probably that would help, probably not, but it is not a solution, actually (neither was the workaround we have found).

Even Google Almighty wasn’t able to find the solution (I found it later, when I new what to look for), so we went to our final resort: Microsoft Premier Support (yep, we didn’t want to breed a new variety of users: those who read their email in deleted items and store business critical documents in the recycled bin). The workaround was quite simple: set AutomateProcessing for the mailbox into AutoUpdate. After doing that:

Get-Mailbox | Set-CalendarProcessing -AutomateProcessing AutoUpdate

everything went back to normal. And you know what? I’m fine with it, even it wasn’t me, who found the solution =)

Heads-UP DST Cancellation in Russia and some other countries

Heads-UP, friends. Even if you have already installed the patches for every Windows Server and every Exchange 2007, there still is more to do. Microsoft has issued Rollup 6 for Exchange 2010 SP1 which contains one more update to your CAS servers which affects DST cancellation. If you still see +3 time zone for Russia and other countries then you need to install it.

Here is the Rollup:

And here is the KB about problem with CAS Servers:

I Hope you’ll get fine through all this stuff =)

Do you miss your search results? Kill’em.

exchangeI’ve had one more case recently: an employee reported that his outlook wouldn’t search any item for the last three weeks or so. Rebuilding indices didn’t help and moreover he was not using cached outlook mode. Well, while my search seemed to be ok, I needed to reproduce the problem somehow, so I went nuts and removed cached mode too. Bingo! My search results were restricted by the period from the same three-weeks-ago and to the beginning of time. No results from yesterday or last week. Considering the fact that mailboxes, both the employee’s and mine were in the same storage group I decided that it was the server index who was responsible for that tragedy (do you know where is each your mail at the moment, by the way?).

How can we check if something is wrong with the index on a server? The answer was easy to find: Test-ExchangeSearch for Exchange 2010 or for 2007. Running the command for my account returned the following:

ResultFound : False
SearchTime : –1

Obviously something went wrong with index. How can we restore it? Again, easy: here is the KB which was found at no time. So I just got to my server and run the script ResetSearchIndex.ps1 for the problematic DB from Exchange folder. Of course, deleting index and recreating it gives a server hard time in terms of processor usage and IO, so I did it in non-working hours. And just in case you, like I, need to know if the index is being rebuilt or has it been rebuilt, you will need to look at a counter for the DB which you are reindexing. The counter is MSExchange Search Indices – Full Mode Crawl Status. You can track it for a particular DB or for _Total. If it is 1 then you have Full Crawl being performed. If it is 0, then crawls have stopped. And after they stopped, you can check again if you have solved your problems with search:

[PS] C:Windowssystem32>Test-ExchangeSearch domainnameusername

                            ResultFound                              SearchTime
                                     ———–                                     ———-
                                            True                                               5

I definitely did =)